11.19.2011

Doctor's Appointment at 30 Weeks

A Few Stats

Baby
Heart Rate: 136-140
Position: Head down, butt under my left ribs, legs over to my right. He was in this same position at 19 weeks.

Mom
Lab Results: blood glucose-104 (no gestational diabetes!); hemoglobin- 11.5 (no iron-deficiency anemia!) 
Fundal Height: 31cm {accurate for 30 weeks gestation, and he's been measuring up a week}
Weight Gain: I never thought I'd say "finally, I gained weight!" but today I did! At my last 3 doctor's appointments- over a span of 8 weeks- my weight did not change by even a quarter of a pound. I was relieved to see an increase of 4 1/4 lbs since my last visit 3 weeks ago. No need for an u/s to check on Gabriel- he's doing just fine in there! My total is now 18 1/2 lbs.
Vital Signs: blood pressure 119/76, heart rate 91

Funny story: I asked about birth plans which brought up the fact that I greatly prefer a female MD to deliver Gabriel. I said something along the lines of "...but I know between the 4, the chance is 50-50". For as long as I've seen my doc there, I've always thought there were 2 male & 2 female obstetricians, and the other providers just did gynecology. The NP says "well, we had 5, but since Dr. So-And-So is out on maternity leave herself, that leaves 3 females and 1 male, so your odds are actually pretty good." ...Okay, what?! Now I was confused! 

It took hilariously too long for me to get it us to understand each other. The NP even resorted to counting on her fingers- "if we had 5 (holds up her hand) and 1 is out (folds down 1 finger), that leaves 4 (shows 4 fingers), and 3 of them are female." She never actually said "no, there are not 2 male doctors" so I was so lost. The one who I was convinced was the 2nd male is, in fact, a female! Her first name is Sharon. It would help if I paid attention to that... Also, I didn't know Dr. So-And-So delivered babies. The NP nudged Perry and said "that's okay, she's got placenta brain" as they both laughed & Perry shook his head!!

Things we learned:
(1) I'm easily confused, but it is only because I have placenta brain. If the NP said it, it must be true *wink*.
(2) We will have the opportunity to meet all of the doctors who could be with me at delivery. Our next appointment is with the only male OB in the group. I will schedule the following appt with the 3rd female doc.
(3) There is only a 25% chance that I'll end up having the male doc. Yay! The main concern is, of course, a safe delivery regardless of which doctor is on call.

0 comments:

Post a Comment