3.02.2012

Hospital Bag Packing List

I am a list-maker. Always have been- ask my Dad. Always will be- ask my husband. They both think it is ridiculous and funny! When it came to packing for the hospital, I compiled lists of what to bring for myself, Perry and the baby. Now that all is said and done, here's what I think was truly necessary, what was nice to have, and what was a waste of space.


For me 
Copies of birth plan {nice to have: I took 4 but only used 2- gave one to my nurse on admission and kept one handy in my room- but honestly never needed/wanted to refer to it}
Copy of insurance card and drivers license {useless: in the excitement of labor, we didn't get these out of my bag when we checked in, the hospital made their own copies}
Chapstick {must have}
Hairties, hairdryer, shampoo, conditioner {must have}
Body wash, loofa, lotion, lanolin cream {must have, except for the lanolin, I didn't get sore until a few days after coming home}
Sanitary pads {useless, the hospital provides the heavy-duty type necessary for the first ~week after delivery}
Bra pads {nice to have: I used them but probably didn't need them as my milk hadn't come in full force to start leaking just yet}
Nursing bra(s) {must have}
Granny panties {nice to have: I wore the hospital's disposable mesh panties until coming home}
Going home outfit {must have}
Cell phone charger {must have}
Socks, 2-3 {must have}
Wrap-around sweater and/or zip up hoodie {must have}
Long-sleeved t-shirt {nice to have}
Pajama pants, 2 {must have}
Crocs {must have: for the shower!}
Journal {must have}
Lysol wipes {nice to have: my intention was to have Perry wipe down the whole room when we were admitted... that didn't happen}
Prunes {must have
Nurses' goodie bags {nice to have: didn't get these made in time! But I would have liked to have something to give my nurses as a Thank You. I did write out cards- with a picture of the 3 of us from the hospital since the likelihood they would remember us by our names was slim- and delivered them when we visited a friend of mine who had her son at the beginning of April!!}
Books, magazines {useless}

For Perry
(Other than clothing/shoes/toiletries)
Back massager, tennis ball {useless: they might have been useful had we thought to try them! Maybe next time!}
Roll of quarters, $1 bills {must have}
Towel for the car {nice to have: just in case. My water didn't break on its own}
Dirty clothes bag {must have}
Book, magazines {useless}
Deck of cards {useless: it's not like we're waiting in the doctor's office!} 

For Gabriel
Coming home outfit with hat, socks {must have}
Car seat and base, installed {must have}
Boppy {must have: it made figuring out nursing a lot easier, plus I could use it when the lactation consultant was teaching me different positions so at home I could do it the same way}
Baby book {must have: to get this footprints in!}
Mittens
Nail files
Diaper bag {must have: to bring everything home in, but diapers & wipes are provided by the hospital! We swiped almost everything that was stocked in the bassinet's drawers- burp cloths, blankets, diapers... shhh!} 

"Grab last-minute":
Pillows and "cute" pillowcases {nice to have}
Camera
Video camera
Laptop and power cord
Cell phones
Jeans
Face moisturizer
Make-up {nice to have: but I don't think I used it}
Snacks {nice to have}

0 comments:

Post a Comment