6.28.2014

Georgia Jane is 1 Month Old!

2 Week Stats
Weight: 7 pounds, 13 ounces (35%)
Length: 20 inches (39%)
Head circumference: 35cm (27%)


Matchy-matchy at her doctor's appt. We ♥ our little lady!!

Likes:
-Being held on your chest (greatly prefers this to the cradle position)
-Patting her back
-Listening to her big brother talk/play
-Looking at Perry's abstract painting in our living room & bright things, especially daylight coming in the windows
-Baths
-Tummy time

Dislikes:
-When the car stops
-Having to burp or pass gas
-Wiping her eyes and face

Clothes/Diapers:
We only had a few newborn size things so Georgia is wearing mostly 0-3 month clothes. The newborn diapers lasted until she was 1 month & 1 day old (4 1/2 weeks). We used up the Huggies from the hospital first, then Pampers Swaddlers- we received 1 big box as a gift and bought another ourselves. They were getting a little snug around her thigh rolls! Now she's in size 1 diapers. 

Eating:
I'm thankful for another good eater. She is a noisy one! I have been a lot more laid back when it comes to breastfeeding; I'm not recording anything (which side, what time, etc) and I trust she is getting enough plenty! The only problem I had was a blister I got in the hospital but I think it's because I was letting her latch slip off as she (and I!) drifted off. She eats every ~2 hours during the day, sometimes more frequently in the evenings when she is a little fussy. She does this weird thing almost every night: alternates between nursing & swallows a few times then pulls back and wails! No idea what that's about. Overnight she nurses around 9pm, 12am, 2:30-3am, 5am, then Gabriel is up around 6am... 

Perry gave Georgia her first bottle at 3 1/2 weeks old. It hadn't been long since she nursed, but she still seemed hungry; I think she got just enough from me to be sleepy, but didn't fill her belly! It was the perfect time- since I had already started pumping, she had fresh milk! She drank 1 oz. (of the 2 oz. I put in the bottle) and did fair. We're reusing Gabriel's bottles, Tommee Tippee Closer To Nature for Sensitive Tummies.

Sleeping:
At night, Baby Girl sleeps in a cradle in our room for 2 1/2-3 hours at a time. An incredible tip I received from my brother's girlfriend's mom {thank you, Terry!!} is to use a heating pad to warm her cradle while I'm feeding/rocking her so the cold sheet doesn't wake her right back up when I lay her down! It works great!! Georgia is cold-natured, so get her nice & toasty and she's out! During the day, she sleeps a lot in the morning and midday, and seems to be more alert in the evenings. I started putting her in her crib for "naps" around 3 1/2 weeks. I try to at least once a day- soon we'll move her out of our room at night and into her crib. Otherwise she is in her bouncy seat or in our arms! I play relaxing rain sounds with an app on my phone. In her crib or the cradle, we swaddle her with Summer Infant's SwaddleMe wraps- my favorite!! They didn't fit her for the first two weeks so I used blankets; she would only stay sleep on my chest, and since I was so tired, I just let her... She sleeps so much better snugly swaddled- hard for me to do with a blanket!
Top L: first time in a SwaddleMe Wrap... it swallowed her 2-day old body!
Top center: blanket-swaddled in her cradle beside our bed
Top R: on my chest 
Hair & Eyes:
Georgia's hair is brown and her eyes are a medium blue! Maybe she'll end up with colored eyes! She has drainage from both eyes, crusty in the morning, watery during the day; likely the cause is blocked tear ducts. Gabe had this, too, and we gave him antibiotic eye ointment, probably unnecessarily. 

Randoms:
-My friend Jennifer who has a part-time photography business took Georgia's newborn pictures at 1 week old. They turned out fantastic!!! Post coming soon!
-Her umbilical stump fell off on day 15. Our Pediatrician informed us that the recommendation for stump-care had changed in the 2 short years since Gabe was born. We no longer were advised to swab with rubbing alcohol at each diaper change. I think that made her's stay on longer (Gabe's fell off on day 9).
-We let her try a pacifier ("bobbi") at 4 weeks old. It did help soothe her some but Perry had to hold it in, otherwise she just pushed it out with her tongue.
-Very mild baby acne showed up at 4 weeks old.
-She has gas, but unlike her brother who's seemed to be painful upper/mid-GI and was hard to get rid of, her's is lower-GI... we are shocked at the sounds that come from her tiny little girl body!! Gabriel will subtly announce, "She tooted!! 'Scuse me, Baby Georgia!"
-Georgia is a pretty mellow baby!! She cries when she is hungry or is uncomfortable and/or wants to be held. Once her need is taken care of, she's quiet, content and wide-eyed!
I LOVE my sweet girly girl!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment