7.23.2010

Run run run run run runaway!

Dogs. Three dogs. Our three dogs. They add a lot to our lives: love, excitement, happiness, security, trouble, snuggles, headaches, "surprises", slobber, and lots of dog hair!

Bella, our Husky, tests us almost on a daily basis. This dog is so smart! We took her to the Banfield Vet at Petsmart a few days ago because we suspected she had worms (ew!); it's not our usual vet but we were given a coupon for a free office visit & physical there. This was Bella's 1st trip to Petsmart. She's not wonderful on a leash. She often confuses the leash holder for a sled that she must single-handedly drag through the snow...

Perry & I checked Bella in and took a seat on the benches along the back wall of the store. Of course she was anxious, pacing back and forth, and doing her pitiful whiny "cry" :( In an attempt to calm her down, I started rubbing her belly while she was standing between my knees. Perry was holding the leash, but thought I had taken hold of it... I assumed he still had it...

There she goes!!! My little runaway. A- run- run- run- run- run- runaway! (A nod to the oldies song "Runaway" by Del Shannon!).

I took off after her (side note: the current series at our church is about differences between men & women and learning to live together in harmony. The author & guest speaker Tim Downs keeps us laughing! Wanna check it out? One key difference noted in this incident is a woman's (my)heightened senses and faster reaction time! Hehe). I tried stepping on her leash that trailed behind her, but I couldn't quite get it. Of course, Bella heads right for the front door! *panic* My sights are focused in on her, so I don't see anything or anyone around me. I need to stop my dog from running out the door into the parking lot!!!

I repeated the tactic that I used to catch her the last time she took off. I DOVE!!!

I dove right into a little girl who was standing on a stool to look at lizards or hamsters or some caged creature. Her mother was nearby talking on her cell phone. Oh my goodness. I cannot even begin to describe everything that occurred in the next, oh, 20 seconds!

+ Bella was safe and sound
+ the little girl, ~4 years old, was not hurt

- total embarrassment
- the girl's mother was NOT happy with me
- floor burns on my elbow and knee
- having to return to the back of the store & wait to be seen by the Banfield vet

Thankfully the girl didn't fall over with the stool! I sort of just knocked it out from under her and she landed on her feet. The mom quickly ended her conversation with "I gotta go, bye (click)". From the floor, I apologized over and over again to the little girl & her mother and made sure she was okay. I got up & quickly led Bella away from the scene! Yes, people gathered :/

What an ordeal. Bella brings a LOT to our family. Good and bad, we love her!

0 comments:

Post a Comment